8.12.2011

Blueberries

Not all posts are about the good times-some are to balance and show real life and remind me to laugh at it in the near future.

Today I decided to take my 3 kids blueberry picking. I vaguely remember that John took the kids last year and thought to myself-this won't be a big deal. We packed lunches jumped in the car and headed on our way up to Auburn/Black Diamond area to Canterbury Blueberry farm. We've had great luck there in the past and so I was excited...

After a beautiful drive we arrived, picked up our buckets and were led to our 3 big bushes ready to start picking. As the lady was leaving us she encouraged us all to eat our fill, but only off the tree. Not the ground as the woodchips came from the horses stalls. Hmmm already starting to rethink this venture with my 2 year old who thinks everything needs to be at least tasted to know its value.

Everything started well-Tate was even picking berries...and then dumping them on the ground, and then started to reach for them so I set up Tate with binoculars and a bag of chips, with M&M's to back it up and went straight to work. Tyler was right there by my side after being promised a $1 if she filled her bucket...well at least half way. McKenna picked a handful and then declared it was hot and she was hungry and so she sat down to eat her lunch. A short time later I found Tate picking up chip crumbs off the ground and quickly handed him his M&Ms and then continued picking as quickly as I could. It wasn't too much longer when Tate was running in and out of bushes and attempted to dump the ones I had already picked and then Tyler declared she needed to go to the bathroom... So I gathered up the kids...after chasing Tate we finally headed in to the Honeybucket.

After getting back and getting back to work the girls helped me out by playing hide and seek and chasing Tate around. Once again claims were made of needing to go to the bathroom, as I picked a couple more berries, I looked over and found Tate dumping my big bucket of berries...I hate to admit I was furious and after a spanking and a stern scolding I started trying to pick up the berries on top of the pile and out of the corner of my eye I saw Tate moving straight for my small bucket of blueberries and then dumped those before I could stop him. In defeat and with steam coming from my ears I once again scolded my 2 year old, gathered my children up and headed back to the Honeybucket where McKenna adamantly refused to use it and although Tyler went in, nothing came out... and then I found it was too late for McKenna (she'd rather pee in her pants than use the Honeybucket-not that I blame her sometimes I wonder if that would be the better alternative).

Upon returning to our bushes Tate FINALLY listened and sat like a good boy waiting for me to salvage what berries I could and rummage what berries were left on the bushes and then we gathered our stuff and decided to go home.

Not a complete loss 5 lbs of blueberries at the price of my sanity. If any of you see it could you send it and Supernanny on over to my house. :) Thanks!

2 comments:

The Dziendziels said...

Hopefully you can laugh at this sooner rather than later. It sounded stressful.

Heather G. said...

oh, you can always hold it against them when they're older, right??!! that's what i plan to do ; )