My Mom is coming tomorrow for a nice 9 day stay, WE are so excited. One of the benefits of living far away is if you're gonna visit make it a long one. Plus who wouldn't want Grandma all to yourself? McKenna is beside herself with excitement and each morning wakes up and asks "airplane?" which means is it time to either go to the airport to leave or is someone coming in? I admit I'm struggling with being so far away from Family. My kids love their (on both sides) Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins and I think the attention in general. My Dad will be coming in on the 18th and will be staying for a day. We'll take him whenever and however long we can.
Looking at the date I just realized today is a birthday of sorts, a spiritual birthday. Today 25 years ago I was baptised & confirmed a member of the Church of Latter Day Saints. Wow that's a long time ago. Funny enough I remember the night or week before...I remember my dad sitting with me in the living room and talking to me about getting baptised and trying to explain to me what it meant and then asking me if this was something I wanted to do. I know that at 8 years old you may or may not really understand. I know I didn't have a testimony at the time but I had watched my parents and I knew that they knew the gospel was true, I watched my older sister get baptised and it just seemed like the right thing to do. I was actually really nervous and as we sat in the chapel the day of I didn't dare look at anyone and I was glad that they didn't make me go sing with my primary class. My Mom made me a dress (which I wish I had a picture of but my Mom told me they had forgotten the camera that day) that I think might have been polyester because when I got in the water the skirt floated up and we had a hard time getting it to stay down in the water. I remember my Dad holding my hand and saying the prayer and then lowering me in the water and then slowly lifting me up. We (my dad and I) both looked up at the witnesses who were trying to decipher if all had been under the water, the dress being an issue. I honestly can't remember if we had to do it a 2nd time...it kind of sounds familiar but at some point they did give us the all clear. Then I went with my Mom where I got dressed and tried to get dry and ready for the confirmation. When it was my turn I was called to the front of the room where I sat in the chair with my Father's Hands, along with the bishopric, and my grandfather's on my head. They felt so heavy to me and I wondered what it would be like when the prayer was said and I was given the "gift of the Holy Ghost" and if it really would help me to be better and nicer. I don't remember a magical transformation but I did remember feeling more confident about who I was and the importance of being good as I didn't want to be "dirty" with sins. :) Something I still think about and wonder if I had some Magical glasses on that could see all my sins what I might look like...
Last month's issue of the Ensign was on Jesus Christ. I'm not always very good at reading the Ensign but I made it a goal to read this one because I don't feel like I know My Savior the way I want to or need to. He did so much for us and I know that my knowledge is so small that sometimes I'm just skirtin by in life. Anyway it's been a wonderful issue that has been reminding or maybe even teaching me why my baptism is such a big event in my life.
Apparently I'm not really a short winded kind of girl.
6 comments:
hey mel!! Its me Rachel! John told me about your blog at work..so I thought I would say hello!! Lunch is over and I am totally bummed cuz i wanted to finish reading the rest of your blog! :)
guess I will have to do it later!
Rachel
I loved reading your short winded version of your baptism! It's hard to believe that in just a few years we'll be explaining the process to our own children! Weird, eh? Good note on the polyester. I wouldn't have even thought of that, but now Halen can learn from your own experience! I agree on the desire to read March's ensign. It is a good one! Oh, and yes my birthday is in May and yes 33!
mel I think that this was a really special blog you wrote. It was nice to hear about your baptism and that you remember it. It's nice to remember our baptism or what little we can remember though.
Thank you for not being a short winded girl :) I really enjoy reading all that you have to say. I am very impressed that you remember your baptism date. It helped me to remember my own baptism. Gigi saw the picture and said Jesus, so you helped her remember him tonight too :)
No worries on your short winded session...I can't do it either.
You may not realize it but you always seem to uplift me whenever I may need it :). Thank you for this, I think I will go back and look up March's Ensign...I don't remember even getting it! I have been struggling a bit with feeling like I don't know his as I should, thank you!
Thanks for reminding me to get the March issue. When I renewed our subscription I just missed the window to get it. Thanks for sharing a moment in your spiritual history. It made me think of my baptism and I agree with how you felt.
Post a Comment