4.25.2008

Always Waiting for Something...

So I sit here with a load of laundry waiting to be folded on the couch, dinner and dishes waiting to be cleaned up, not to mention the toys that are strewn pretty much everywhere. Where am I? Well writing of course, if you can't run...then write. That's what I do when I'm stressed out. John is at the Convenience Care clinic with Tyler.

Last night I spent with Tyler as she couldn't sleep and just wanted to be held. John is not a big fan of ever welcoming the children into our bed, and after sleeping with McKenna who's limbs are everywhere and usually end up next to me I've come to 2nd the motion. (I don't have any opinions of those of you who do and don't sleep with your child a parent does what they need to do and in the dead of night that could be just about anything...as long as it gives you at least 10 more minutes of sleep. Chances are I've done it to...) Anyway Tyler's a smart kid and she's done a good job at keeping herself hydrated. She woke me up almost every 20 minutes for a big drink of water and then would go back to sleep. At one point she woke up in a sweat, her temperature was down and I felt a lil light shining that this "bug" was beat. Well she woke up with a fever still raging and after talking to a nurse I succumbed to wait til Sunday and try not to panic before taking her to the Dr. Well this afternoon Tyler woke up with a temperature of a 104-106 degrees and so I was back on the phone. I want to think that I'd be a great advocate for my kids especially when it comes to their health but after talking to nurses and the Dr well I just don't think anyone believed me and thought I was over-reacting. I think I'm infamous for over-reacting...I may have been called dramatic a time or two in my life...so I decided to wait a lil longer as suggested by the Dr waiting for this to burn itself up. She was afterall still drinking and she wasn't crying...although I didn't know that lethargic kids did a lot of crying. Anyway things started to look up, after a walk outside (thank goodness the sun came out) Tyler started to act better, almost like herself (with the exception of standing), her temp went down to 102.7 and well sadly that was good news. She ate a few frozen peas and called dinner good and so I put her down to play while I ate. Not too much longer the crying started because she had been left alone and so the tv went back on and I sat to hold my baby. I found a feverish child, who curled up and instantly went to sleep who was also lacking in color, her temperature was back up to 105.8. I was told to rectally take her temperature earlier, but I don't even know where that is and it took me 3 years to work up to the idea of giving my oldest a suppository.

John finally made it home and gave into my stress and called the Dr which puts us where we are now. Him at Convenience Care waiting for Tyler to Pee in a bag because my kids anatomy is messed up and they can't do a catheter on her. I know this is a long and detailed story, one of which will have a happy ending...but until we'll just keep on waiting...

I did have thoughts of taking a picture of Tyler but just couldn't bring myself to do it. She hates the camera so why torment?

2 comments:

co•lin fam•i•ly said...

So how is Tyler doing now? I feel so bad for her! Be thankful John does things like that for you!

The 3 Nomads said...

Oh Mel I am so sorry to hear about Tyler! Is she feeling okay? It is such a horrible feeling when your kid is sick. I think you did the right thing taking her in. We will keep her in our prayers.