2.15.2008

L-O-V-E

I subscribe to ScreamFree Parenting's Newsletter and I read an article where Hal Runkel the author talked about his disapproval of and the commercialization of Valentine's day. I linked the article incase you wanted to read it but basically his reasonings being you shouldn't have one day set aside to show people how much you love them. He continued on to almost laugh at how it started as a couple's holiday and has been turned to focus on the children. I agree with him in that random acts of kindness throughout the year are a better than a once a yr "forced" effort, but I love decorating my house in pink and red for a month, buying Valentine's Day candy and I look forward to having an excuse to show my kids what love and service are by recognizing others with a valentine or a treat.

With McKenna in preschool they invited the parents to come for the Valentine's Day party. I was so excited because I haven't been to McKenna's class and although I was nervous as to how she would react with me there I wanted to visit and see her in her environment. It was such a fun day! The parents were invited to come at snack time and the kids gave us Valentine's Day cookies and McKenna even poured me some juice. She's so funny, they only pour to the count of 3 and let me tell you, I was proud and excited to drink my 3 Tbs of juice. Then the kids got to look at their Valentine's for a few minutes. After putting them away they gathered in a circle on the mats for singing time. They sang "You are My Sunshine" and "I'm Stuck on My Family..." and then they did the bear hunt song. That was hilarious, and so cute! I was sad not to have my camcorder, but took footage on my Digital camera, which doesn't have sound, but it'll be cute nonetheless. McKenna was soo well behaved, which shouldn't come as a surprise because I've heard that she is, and like to think that most of the time she is at home too. It was very refreshing and pry one of the highlight of my Valentine's Day.

"I'm goin on a Bear Hunt"

Time to go home

The Valentine's Day Loot!


John and I really didn't have anything planned for Valentine's Day. We had talked about skipping presents and just doing a nice Date on Valentine's and our Anniversary but we hadn't set anything up. I am currently the Beehive Teacher at church and I have a couple of cute girls in my class who spent the night a few weeks ago and declared at Mutual on Wednesday Night that since they didn't have school on Friday they would be spending the night at my house on Thursday (which was Valentine's). I didn't really even think much of it until one of their mother's called and told my husband they would be happy to watch our kids so that we could go out to dinner. Wow, the stars must have aligned or something because it was so unexpected and so nice. So yesterday after school as promised they came to our house, picked out my shirt :) and sent us on our way. We didn't actually go to dinner, we pretty much figured every place would be busy and we didn't know where we wanted to go anyway so we went to a movie. Romantic huh? or maybe not, but we NEVER get to go to movies so we were happy. We saw The Bucket List, which we really liked. I don't know what I was thinking, I've realized I'm one of those people who doesn't deal with death very well at all, especially when Cancer is linked to it so I knew there was going to be crying. It had a wonderful message and we both really liked it, reminding us why we are parents and the joy of it all.

Valentine's Day Breakfast of Course, Pink Pancakes!

On the Topic of Love I forgot to mention/document the sweetest thing that happened the other night. McKenna who is always full of surprises, the other night she came to me and John in turn and gave us both a big hug and said, "I love you Mommy" and then "I love you Daddy". It's the first time she has ever told either of us that she loved you and probably one of the 1st real sentences she has ever said. Made my heart melt!

2 comments:

suzan said...

I can't get over how much McKenna looks like you. She is a Mini Melanie! So cute!

Teandra said...

We saw The Bucket List too. It is a good flick.